Saturday, August 05, 2006

New DVD To Offer Cast and Crew as Bonus Features

HOLLYWOOD, CA - Many recent DVD releases offer bonus features like director's commentary and deleted scenes, and producers are increasingly trying to up the ante. Sony Pictures, with its limited-edition Platinum Edition DVD release of the movie Twisted Thorns, is breaking new ground with what it calls the ultimate DVD feature. The DVD will be the first to offer the actual cast and crew of the movie along with the film.

Gerald Kirsey, the media contact for Sony Pictures, explained how they came up with the innovative concept. "Many people enjoy watching documentaries and hearing commentary on movies. We at Sony decided that what people really want is to feel like they have gotten to know the cast and crew. What better way to do that than to offer some face-time with the actual people who worked on the movie?"

Every copy of the two thousand limited-edition DVDs of Twisted Thorns will include a coupon book with coupons for everyone who worked on the movie, from the stars Sean Connery and Scarlett Johannsen to the key grip, Martin Byquist. Each coupon entitles the holder to one hour with that person.

"All the holder has to do is send us that coupon," said Kersey, "and we'll put them on a schedule to send the crew member to their home or place of business for one hour. They can do whatever they want with the crew member, from watching the movie with them and answering questions to going out to dinner. It's their call."

During an interview for the DVD release, Sean Connery seemed upbeat about the plan. Connery said he has already blocked out the next year of his life to meet with DVD owners. He added, "I think it's a unique opportunity to meet and greet fans of my movies. I'm looking forward to getting people's insights on the movie, traveling the world, going places I've never been to, and experiencing new cultures."

Scarlett Johannsen, however, was less enthusiastic. When asked about the scheme, she said, "I think it's the stupidest s*** I've ever done. I wouldn't have done it, but they offered me triple my usual salary. I don't know what I'm gonna do with these f***ing people. Well, I can guess, but I made them put a disclaimer on my coupon that says there will be absolutely no physical contact between me and the coupon-holder whatsoever. I won't even hold hands with those freaks."

No comments: