Thursday, November 23, 2006

Local Man Has No Opinion About O.J. Simpson Trial

Michael Francis, a 34-year old landscape designer, claims to have no opinion whatsoever on the O.J. Simpson trial. During our interview, Francis said, "I really just have no opinion on it, one way or the other. It's really none of my business."

O.J. Simpson gained notoriety in 1995 when he was accused of killing his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her lover, Ronald Goldman. His trial galvanized the nation, exposing rifts between whites and blacks, young and poor, and leading to powerful discussions on the price of fame, interracial romance, and the effectiveness of the Los Angeles Police Department. Yet, somehow, it all passed right by Michael Francis.

He said, "I remember seeing in the newspaper that O.J. Simpson got arrested, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I was a kid when he was playing football, so I didn't know him that well. I mean, he did a few movies, but he wasn't like a major celebrity. Why should I care if he killed his wife?"

The entire trial was broadcast live on CourtTV, but Michael Francis claims he never watched any of it. "I had cable, but I never tuned in. I'm not a big fan of legal stuff, and it just sounded really boring. I never watched CourtTV before the Simpson trial, so I didn't see a reason to start."

Most shocking of all is that when asked whether he thinks O.J. Simpson is guilty, Francis would only say, "I don't know. I wasn't in the courtroom and I didn't see the murder, so I don't have the right to decide. That's why we have courts. Judges and juries decide the guilt or innocence of defendants, not me."

At the end of the interview, Francis merely shrugged as he said, "I don't know O.J. Simpson and I didn't know any of the people who were killed, so I don't see why the trial should be important to me or anyone else other than the immediate families. I like to spend my time on things that have a direct impact on my life."

Experts who administered lie-detector tests during the interview claim Francis is telling the truth, but cast doubt on his claims that he has no opinion on whether Madonna is a good actress.